Mary Grace Guzmán
Mary Grace Guzmán joined our firm as an associate in 2013. Mary Grace came to us with solo practice experience, specifically in the practice areas of immigration, criminal and small business law. She focuses on moral character, state bar representation and attorney ethics advice and counsel. She gives MCLE lectures on diversity and professional responsibility.
Classes and Seminars:
MCLE Panels 2016: Contra Costa County Bar Association; Entrepreneurial Ethics, Contra Costa County Bar Association; Internet Presence and Attorneys; CEB; (How to Hang Your Shingle), American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Northern California Chapter; Family Law & Beyond: Crossovers, Experts and Issues of Interest, Wildland Fire Conference, State Bar of California; Twentieth Annual Statewide Ethics Symposium, East Alameda County Bar Association; Ethics 101
MCLE Panels 2016: American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), General Ethics
MCLE Panels 2015: Santa Clara Workers' Compensation Attorneys Association
MCLE Panels 2014: Santa Clara University School of Law Moral Character Applications, "Ethics for New Lawyers," with Jerome Fishkin, March 2014.
MCLE Panels 2013: "Ethics for New Lawyers," with Jerome Fishkin, March 2013.
MCLE Panels 2012: "Investing in the Future of Diversity: Building a Better Law Practice," May 2012 and September 2012.
Areas of Practice
- State Bar Defense (California)
- Moral Character and Fitness, California Bar
- Ethics Advice to California attorneys
- Attorney Discipline Defense, US Courts in California
- California, 2010
- Santa Clara University School of Law, Santa Clara, California
- J.D. - 2008
- University of California, Berkeley, California - 1996
- Moral Character: The Other Bar Exam, The Advocate, with Lindsay Kohut Slatter, April, 2013
- MCLE Self Study: Where Do I Deposit My Retainer? Contra Costa County Bar Association MCLE Spectacular, November, 2014
- Sharing an Attorney’s Thoughtful Reflection on the Tragic Events of this Past Week
Honors and Awards
- Entrepreneur on the Rise, 2012, Contra Costa County, Women's Initiative for Self-Employment
- Witkin Award for Academic Excellence: Race and the Law, Fall 2007 and Social Justice and the Law, Fall 2007
- Rising Star, 2015 - Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Alameda County Bar Association, Member, 2013 - Present
- Attorney Discipline Defense Counsel, Member, 2013 - Present
- Contra Costa County Bar Association, Member; Diversity Committee Member; Barrister Board Vice President
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers, Member, 2013 - Present
- Consumer Attorneys of California, Member, 2010 - Present
- East Bay La Raza Lawyers Association, Member, 2014 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- Guzmán Legal, 2011 - 2013
Pro Bono Activities
- International Institute of the Bay Area, Citizenship and Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival clinics.
- "Business Law for New Business Owners" lecture, Women's Initiative for Self-Employment, 2010 - 2012